This companion provides an extensive account of the Roman army,exploring its role in Roman politics and society as well as thereasons for its effectiveness as a fighting force.
* An extensive account of the Roman army, from its beginnings toits transformation in the later Roman Empire
* Examines the army as a military machine - itsrecruitment, training, organization, tactics and weaponry
* Explores the relationship of the army to Roman politics,economics and society more broadly
* Considers the geography and climate of the lands in which theRomans fought
* Each chapter is written by a leading expert in a particularsubfield and takes account of the latest scholarly andarchaeological research in that area