• Phaidon Focus is a brand new series that offers accessible, up-to-date, authoritative, enjoyable and
thought-provoking books on internationally renowned modern masters
• Written by experts in their field, each of these lively and beautifully illustrated books, covers the full
span of the artist’s work, exploring its origins, development, style and themes
• Stimulating and a pleasure to read, each book consists of a chronological essay accompanied by
‘Focus’ sections that delve into specific themes and important groups of work, and ends with a short
chronology and a bibliography
• These compact and affordable hardback books are the perfect introductions to the artists, essential
reading for students and rewarding for anyone curious about art
• Anselm Kiefer (b.1945) played a major role in shaping the landscape of post-war German art.
His vision encompasses philosophy, history and literature – ranging from intimate books
that explore German identity to monumental public sculpture installations. Conceptually,
Kiefer urges viewers to challenge narratives of war, identity, religion, morality, memory and
history. Visually, his paintings ooze physical tactility, incorporating such organic matter
as straw and sand, so his canvases become sculptural and affective.