Tools, techniques, and progress in cancer biomarkersdiscovery
The completion of a number of gene sequencing projects, recentadvances in genomic and proteomic technologies, and theavailability of powerful bioinformatics tools have led to promisingnew avenues and approaches in the search for cancer biomarkers.This book provides a comprehensive overview of currentmethodologies and technologies. It discusses biomarker discovery asa whole, rather than focusing on one specific marker or cancer.With information on both existing and potential biomarkers, CancerBiomarkers: Analytical Techniques for Discovery:
* Provides insights into the current technological platforms forbiomarker discovery, including mass spectrometry combined withmultidimensional chromatography, DIGE, and various chiptechnologies
* Includes a detailed discussion of protein networks and proteinphosphorylation in cancer
* Details the use of imaging mass spectrometry, laser capturemicrodissection, serial analysis of gene expression, enzyme-linkedimmunosorbent assays, protein microarrays, antibody-basedmicroarrays, and bioinformatics
* Covers the emerging role of surface-enhanced laser desorptionionization (SELDI) and various tagging and labelingstrategies
* Discusses related regulatory and ethical issues
With a wealth of information that can be applied to a broadspectrum of biomarker research projects, this is a core referencefor biomarker researchers, scientists working in proteomics andbioinformatics, pharmaceutical scientists, oncologists,biochemists, biologists, and chemists.