The fundamental science and the latest developments incarbohydrate-based vaccines
The relatively new field of glycoimmunology has emerged from themarriage of glycobiology and immunology, in recognition of theimportant role carbohydrates play as antigenic determinants.Carbohydrate-Based Vaccines and Immunotherapiescomprehensively reviews the state of this exciting field, offeringa single source for both the fundamental science and the latestdevelopments.
With contributions by leading experts, this resource covers thedesign, synthesis, evaluation, and applications of variouscarbohydrate-based vaccines, including polysaccharides,neoglycoproteins, and neoglycolipids. The text approaches vaccinedesign from a chemical and molecular focus, staying in line withcurrent advances.
Key topics covered by Carbohydrate-Based Vaccines andImmunotherapies include:
* Recent developments towards clinically useful vaccines againstbacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungi
* Using adjuvants to improve immunogenicity and/or immunologicalproperties of vaccines
* Choosing and designing proper adjuvants for specific targets
* Abnormal carbohydrates expressed by tumors
* Carbohydrate-based therapeutic cancer vaccines or cancerimmunotherapy
* Clinical trials results for synthetic cancer vaccines
* Glycoengineering of cell surface carborhydrates and itsanticancer applications
* Using cell surface carbohydrates for disease diagnosis
A single, convenient source of state-of-the-art information fromleading authorities in the field, Carbohydrate-Based Vaccinesand Immunotherapies is an essential reference for organicchemists and biochemists, academic researchers, and other studentsand professionals involved in vaccine design.