Taking a global perspective, this book provides a concise overviewof drylands, including their physical, biological, temporal, andhuman components.
* * Examines the physical systems occurring in desert environments,including climate, hydrology, past and present lakes, weathering,hillslopes, geomorphic surfaces, water as a geomorphic agent, andaeolian processes
* Offers an accessible introduction to the physical, biological,temporal, and human components of drylands
* Investigates the nature, environmental requirements, andessential geomorphic roles of plants and animals in this stressfulbiological environment
* Highlights the impact of human population growth on climate,desertification, water resources, and dust storm activity
* Includes an examination of surface/atmosphere interactions andthe impact of ENSO events.