Discover how advances in mass spectrometry are fueling newdiscoveries across a broad range of research areas
Electrospray and MALDI Mass Spectrometry brings both veteranpractitioners and beginning scientists up to date with the mostrecent trends and findings in electrospray ionization andmatrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI) massspectrometry. In particular, this Second Edition highlights howadvances in electrospray and MALDI mass spectrometry are supportingimportant discoveries in new and emerging fields such as proteomicsand metabolomics as well as in traditional areas of chemistry andphysics research.
Electrospray AND MALDI Mass Spectrometry, SECOND EDITION isdivided into five parts:
* Part A, Fundamentals of ES, explains the fundamental phenomenaunderlying the electrospray process, including selectivity inionization and inherent electrochemistry, and concludes with achapter offering a comparative inventory of source hardware
* Part B, Fundamentals of MALDI, confronts ionization mechanisms,instrument development, and matrix selection, and includes a finalchapter that explores the special application of MALDI to obtaintwo-dimensional images of spatial distributions of compounds onsurfaces
* Part C, ES and MALDI Coupling to Mass SpectrometryInstrumentation, examines the coupling of these ionizationtechniques to various mass analyzers, including quadrupole iontrap, time-of-flight, Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance,and ion mobility mass spectrometers
* Part D, Practical Aspects of ES and MALDI, investigatesanalytical issues including quantification, charge-statedistributions, noncovalent interactions in solution that arepreserved as gas-phase ions, and various means of ion excitation inpreparation for tandem mass spectrometry, and offers a guide to theinterpretation of even-electron mass spectra
* Part E, Biological Applications of ES and MALDI, examines therole of mass spectrometry in such areas as peptide and proteincharacterization, carbohydrate analysis, lipid analysis, and drugdiscovery
Written by a team of leading experts, the book not only providesa critical review of the literature, but also presents key conceptsin tutorial fashion to help readers take full advantage of thelatest technological breakthroughs and applications. As a result,Electrospray and MALDI Mass Spectrometry will help researchersfully leverage the power of electrospray and MALDI massspectrometry. The judicious compartmentalization of chapters, andthe pedagogic presentation style throughout, render the book highlysuitable for use as a text for graduate-level courses in advancedmass spectrometry.