Fascinating and instantly recognizable, flatfishes are unique intheir asymmetric postlarval body form. With over 800 extant speciesrecognized and a distribution stretching around the globe, thesefishes are of considerable research interest and provide a majorcontribution to commercial and recreational fisheries worldwide.This second edition of Flatfishes: Biology andExploitation has been completely revised, updated and enlargedto respond to the ever-growing body of research. It provides:
* Overviews of systematics, distribution, life historystrategies, reproduction, recruitment, ecology and behaviour
* Descriptions of the major fisheries and theirmanagement
* An assessment of the synergies between ecological andaquaculture research of flatfishes.
Carefully compiled and edited by four internationally-knownscientists and with chapters written by many world leaders in thefield, this excellent new edition of a very popular and successfulbook is essential reading for fish biologists, fisheriesscientists, marine biologists, aquaculture personnel, ecologists,environmental scientists, and government workers in fisheries andfish and wildlife departments. Flatfishes: Biology andExploitation, Second Edition, should be found in all libraries ofresearch establishments and universities where life sciences, fishbiology, fisheries, aquaculture, marine sciences, oceanography,ecology and environmental sciences are studied and taught.
Reviews of the First Edition
* A solid, up-to-date book that advanced students andresearch scientists with interests in fish biology will findinteresting and useful. Aquaculture International
* A data-rich book that outlines much of what you might everwant to know about flatfishes. Fish & Fisheries
* Well presented with clear illustrations and a valuablesource of information for those with a general interest in fishecology or for the more specialist reader. You should make surethat your library has a copy. J Fish Biology
* An excellent and very practical overview of the whole,global flatfish scene. Anyone interested in flatfish at whicheverstage of the economic food chain should invest in a copyimmediately. Ausmarine
* Because of the high quality of each chapter, written byinternational experts, it is a valuable reference. Reviews inFish Biology and Fisheries