Promotes a green approach to chemistry and chemicalengineering for a sustainable planet
With this text as their guide, students will gain a new outlookon chemistry and engineering. The text fully covers introductoryconcepts in general, organic, inorganic, and analytical chemistryas well as biochemistry. At the same time, it integrates suchconcepts as greenhouse gas potential, alternative and renewableenergy, solvent selection and recovery, and ecotoxicity. As aresult, students learn how to design chemical products andprocesses that are sustainable and environmentally friendly.
Green Chemistry and Engineering presents the greenapproach as an essential tool for tackling problems in chemistry. Anovel feature of the text is its integration of introductoryengineering concepts, making it easier for students to move fromfundamental science to applications.
Throughout this text, the authors integrate several features tohelp students understand and apply basic concepts in generalchemistry as well as green chemistry, including:
* Comparisons of the environmental impact of traditionalchemistry approaches with green chemistry approaches
* Analyses of chemical processes in the context of life-cycleprinciples, demonstrating how chemistry fits within the complexsupply chain
* Applications of green chemistry that are relevant to students'lives and professional aspirations
* Examples of successful green chemistry endeavors, includingPresidential Green Chemistry Challenge winners
* Case studies that encourage students to use their criticalthinking skills to devise green chemistry solutions
Upon completing this text, students will come to understand thatchemistry is not antithetical to sustainability, but rather, withthe application of green principles, chemistry is the means to asustainable planet.