An authoritative, systematic, and comprehensive description ofcurrent CMP technology
Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) provides the greatestdegree of planarization of any known technique. The currentstandard for integrated circuit (IC) planarization, CMP is playingan increasingly important role in other related applications suchas microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and computer hard drivemanufacturing. This reference focuses on the chemical aspects ofthe technology and includes contributions from the foremost expertson specific applications. After a detailed overview of thefundamentals and basic science of CMP, Microelectronic Applicationsof Chemical Mechanical Planarization:
* Provides in-depth coverage of a wide range of state-of-the-arttechnologies and applications
* Presents information on new designs, capabilities, and emergingtechnologies, including topics like CMP with nanomaterials and 3Dchips
* Discusses different types of CMP tools, pads for IC CMP, modeling,and the applicability of tribometrology to various aspects ofCMP
* Covers nanotopography, CMP performance and defect profiles, CMPwaste treatment, and the chemistry and colloidal properties of theslurries used in CMP
* Provides a perspective on the opportunities and challenges of thenext fifteen years
Complete with case studies, this is a valuable, hands-on resourcefor professionals, including process engineers, equipmentengineers, formulation chemists, IC manufacturers, and others. Withsystematic organization and questions at the end of each chapter tofacilitate learning, it is an ideal introduction to CMP and anexcellent text for students in advanced graduate courses that coverCMP or related semiconductor manufacturing processes.