Explores the latest applications arising from the intersection ofnanotechnology and microfluidics
In the past two decades, microfluidics research has seenphenomenal growth, with many new and emerging applications infields ranging from chemistry, physics, and biology to engineering.With the emergence of nanotechnology, microfluidics is currentlyundergoing dramatic changes, embracing the rising field ofnanofluidics.
This volume reviews the latest devices and applications stemmingfrom the merging of nanotechnology with microfludics in such areasas drug discovery, bio-sensing, catalysis, electrophoresis,enzymatic reactions, and nanomaterial synthesis. Each of the tenchapters is written by a leading pioneer at the intersection ofnanotechnology and microfluidics. Readers not only learn about newapplications, but also discover which futuristic devices andapplications are likely to be developed. Topics explored in thisvolume include:
* New lab-on-a-chip systems for drug delivery
* Integration of microfluidics with nanoneuroscience to study thenervous system at the single-cell level
* Recent applications of nanoparticles within microfluidicchannels for electrochemical and optical affinity biosensing
* Novel microfluidic approaches for the synthesis ofnanomaterials
* Next-generation alternative energy portable power devices
References in each chapter guide readers to the primaryliterature for further investigation of individual topics. Overall,scientists, researchers, engineers, and students will not only gaina new perspective on what has been done, but also thenanotechnology tools they need to develop the next generation ofmicrofluidic devices and applications.
Microfluidic Devices for Nanotechnology is a two-volumepublication, the first ever to explore the synergies betweenmicrofluidics and nanotechnology. The first volume coversfundamental concepts; this second volume examines applications.