This book presents original research outlining the key elements inresponding to parental misuse of drugs and alcohol.
* Offers a definition of "misuse" and"addiction" and the factors that influence the natureof misuse or addiction
* Reviews extensively the nature and impact of parental substancemisuse on children and families using the latest evidence
* Explores how research and theories might help informprofessionals or non-professionals assessing families affected byparents who misuse drugs or alcohol
* Provides an in-depth discussion of Motivational Interviewing,including a critical discussion of the challenges and limitationsinvolved in using it in child and family settings
* Considers the wider implications of the findings for practiceand policy and argues that these responses can be used across thefield of work with vulnerable children and their families