"This book is very different from any medical textbook you've everread. its greatest merit is to have single-handedlytransformed the perception of psychiatry from that of Cinderellaspeciality to that of hottest speciality on offer."
Following in the footsteps of the groundbreaking first edition,this second edition of Psychiatry is a comprehensivetextbook of mental health that brings its subject alive withnumerous case studies, images and photographs, and short referencesfrom the arts, history, and philosophy. These not only facilitatelearning and memorisation, but also highlight the subjectiveexperience of mental illness, and stimulate thought into the natureof the human experience.
Based on extensive feedback from students and lecturers, thissecond edition places greater emphasis on psychological treatments,clinical skills, and exam success, and integrates more than 350self-assessment questions.
Other important features include:
* A clear and attractive layout with colour coding and colourimages and photographs
* Learning objectives, boxed summaries, and self-assessmentquestions in every chapter
* Step-by-step coverage of the psychiatric history, mental stateexamination, and formulation, with an integrated account of thesigns and symptoms of mental disorders and a model casehistory
* Clinical skills/OSCE boxes on competencies such as enquiringabout delusions and hallucinations, assessing suicidal risk, andassessing capacity
* Greater coverage of psychiatric subspecialties
* An expanded chapter on the history of psychiatry withintroductions to Freud and Jung
Psychiatry is the perfect textbook formedical students, junior doctors, GPs, and all healthcareprofessionals needing a thorough account of mental disorders.