Recent Advances in Polyphenol Research
Edited by Santos-Buelga, Escribano-Bailon and Lattanzio
Plant phenolics are secondary metabolites that constitute one ofthe most common and widespread groups of substances in plants.Polyphenols have a large and diverse array of beneficial effects onboth plants and animals. For example they are famous asantioxidants, hormones, constituents of essential oils and naturalneurotransmitters.
Sponsored by Groupe Polyphenols, this publication, which is thesecond volume in this ground-breaking series, is edited byCelestino Santos-Buelga, Maria Teresa Escribano-Bailon, andVincenzo Lattanzio, who have drawn together an impressive list ofinternationally respected authors, each providing cutting edgechapters covering some of the major topics of recent research andinterest.
Information included in this important new addition to theseries include the following areas:
* Flavonoid chemistry of the leguminosae
* Chemistry and biological activity of ellagitannins
* Chemistry and function of anthocyanins in plants
* An update of chemical pathways leading to new phenolicpigments during wine ageing
* Metabolic engineering of the flavonoid pathway
* The translation of chemical properties of polyphenolsinto biological activity with impacts in human health
* Plant phenolic compounds controlling leaf movement
* Biological activity of phenolics in plants
Chemists, biochemists, plant scientists, pharmacognosists andpharmacologists, food scientists and nutritionists will all findthis book an invaluable resource. Libraries in all universities andresearch establishments where these subjects are studied and taughtshould have copies on their shelves.