You're sitting at your desk in a classroom or in an airlesscubicle, wondering how many minutes are left in a seemingly endlessday, when suddenly your teacher or supervisor lowers the boom: Shewants a research paper, complete with footnotes and a list ofsources. She wants accuracy, originality, and good grammar.And - gasp! - she wants ten pages!You may be 16 years old or 60 years old, but your reaction is thesame: Help!
Take heart. A research paper may seem daunting, but it's afar-from-impossible project to accomplish. Turning research intowriting is actually quite easy, as long as you follow a few proventechniques. And that's where Research Papers For Dummiessteps in to help. In this easy-to-understand guide, you find outhow to search for information using both traditional printedsources and the electronic treasure troves of the Internet. Youalso discover how to take all those bits of information, discardingthe irrelevant ones, and put them into a form that illustrates yourpoint with clarity and originality.
Here's just a sampling of the topics you'll find in ResearchPapers For Dummies:
* Types of research papers, from business reports todissertations
* The basic ingredients of a paper: Introduction, body,conclusion, footnotes, and bibliography
* Note-taking methods while doing research
* Avoiding plagiarism and other research paper pitfalls
* Defining your thesis statement and choosing a structure foryour paper
* Supporting your argument and drawing an insightfulconclusion
* Revising and polishing your prose
* Top Ten lists on the best ways to begin your research onlineand in print
Research Papers For Dummies also includes an appendixthat's full of research paper ideas if you're stuck.
If you're tasked with writing a research paper, chances are youalready have a lot of demands on your time. You don't need anotherhuge pile of papers to read. This book can actually save you timein the long run, because it gives you the easiest, fastest, andmost successful methods for completing your paper.