Banish your fears of statistical analysis using this clearlywritten and highly successful textbook. Statistics forVeterinary and Animal Science Third Edition is an introductorytext which assumes no previous knowledge of statistics. Itstarts with very basic methodology and builds on it to encompasssome of the more advanced techniques that are currently used. This book will enable you to handle numerical data and criticallyappraise the veterinary and animal science literature. Written in anon-mathematical way, the emphasis is on understanding theunderlying concepts and correctly interpreting computer output, andnot on working through mathematical formulae.
* Flow charts are provided to enable you to choose the correctstatistical analyses in different situations
* Numerous real worked examples are included to help you masterthe procedures
* Two statistical packages, SPSS and Stata, are used to analysedata to familiarise you with typical computer output
* The data sets from the examples in the book are available aselectronic files to download from the book's companionwebsite in ASCII, Excel, SPSS, Stata and RWorkspace formats, allowing you to practice using your ownsoftware and fully get to grips with the techniques
* A clear indication is provided of the more advanced or obscuretopics so that, if desired, you can skip them without loss ofcontinuity.
New to this edition:
* New chapter on reporting guidelines relevant to veterinarymedicine as a ready reference for those wanting to follow bestpractice in planning and writing up research
* New chapter on critical appraisal of randomized controlledtrials and observational studies in the published literature: atemplate is provided which is used to critically appraise twopapers
* New chapter introducing specialist topics: ethical issues ofanimal investigations, spatial statistics, veterinary surveillance,and statistics in molecular and quantitative genetics
* Expanded glossaries of notation and terms
* Additional exercises and further explanations added throughoutto make the book more comprehensive.
Carrying out statistical procedures and interpreting the resultsis an integral part of veterinary and animal science. This is theonly book on statistics that is specifically written for veterinaryscience and animal science students, researchers andpractitioners.