The term steroid has become virtually synonymous with drug abuse insport to the majority of the public. However these steroids -androgens - actually comprise only a single relatively small classof biologically active steroids, and are overshadowed by a largecollection of compounds, a sizeable number of which are commercialdrugs that share the same structural carbon skeleton. Thedevelopment of these drugs has led to a large body of organicchemistry often denoted as "Steroid Chemistry".
Steroid Chemistry At A Glance provides a concise overviewof the main principles and reactions of steroid chemistry. Topicscovered include:
* history, isolation and structure determination of steroids
* steroid nomenclature and stereochemistry
* natural sources of steroids
* synthesis and reactions of aromatic a-ring steroids,androstanes, and pregnanes
* steroids with a spirolactone at position 17
* steroids with hetrocyclic ring A
* compounds derived from cholesterol
Based on the highly successful and student friendly "at aglance" approach, the information is presented in integrated, selfcontained double page spreads of text and illustrative material.Students of chemistry and pharmacy using Steroid Chemistry at aGlance will find they have a resource with which they canquickly, concisely and confidently acquire, regularly review andrevise the basic facts that underpin the properties, synthesis andreactions of this important class of natural products. It will alsoserve as a handy bench reference for postgraduates and professionalchemists.