Steroid dimers are an important group of compounds produced byvarious marine organisms, and also synthesized in the laboratories.This group of compounds possesses various pharmacological andbiological properties, and can also be used to create "molecular umbrellas" for drug delivery.
Steroid Dimers: Chemistry and Applications in Drug Design andDelivery provides an up-to-date overview on the chemistry andapplications of steroid dimers of natural and synthetic origins.The book includes easy-to-follow synthetic protocols for variousclasses of important dimeric steroids, source details, valuablespectroscopic data and depiction of unique structural features ofnatural steroidal dimers, and the Structure-Activity-Relationships(SARs) of some pharmacologically active dimeric steroids. Topicscovered include:
* introduction to steroid dimers
* synthesis and chemistry of noncyclic and cyclic steroiddimers
* naturally occurring steroid dimers - cephalostatins,ritterazines and crellastatins
* biological and pharmacological functions of steroid dimers andtheir application in drug design and discovery
* steroid dimers as "molecular umbrellas" for drugdelivery
Steroid Dimers: Chemistry and Applications in Drug Design andDelivery is an essential guide to this important class ofnatural and synthetic compounds for researchers and students ofnatural products chemistry and biochemistry, synthetic organicand medicinal chemistry, and drug design, discovery anddelivery.