This publication gives an overview of the current state and development potential of the Baltic Sea Region and proposes a concrete strategy programme for innovation in regional policies. One prerequisites is a strong cooperation between the regions and states, but also the promotion of regional competition while preserving and strengthening the specific regional cultures around the Mare Balticum. For a competitive Baltic Sea Region, it is also essential that the regional policy supports the innovation in the small- and medium sized enterprises, since 99,8 % of all companies are SMEs and thus the economic and social backbone. A creation of real knowledge-alliances between universities, public administrations and businesses is highly recommended. These political strategies are the result of intensive discussions and experiences of a three year running project with 40 partners from 11 countries around the Baltic Sea Region, called BSR QUICK. They are adopted and recommended by the 47 Members of the Hanse Parlament and 16 Members of the Baltic Sea Academy.
The book contains the identical text of approx. 55 pages in English, German and Polish.
The book concentrates on
- Cooperation and integration
- Regional competition and fiscal equalization
- Equivalent living conditions and functional division of labor
- Independent cultures and regional self-esteem
- Endogenous potentials and smart specialization
- Regional economic cycles and intense range development
- Small and medium-sized enterprises and networks
- Innovation and knowledge partnerships
Decentralization and autonomy