Guanidines, amidines and phosphazenes have been attractingattention in organic synthesis due to their potential functionalityresulting from their extremely strong basicity. They are alsopromising catalysts because of their potential for easy molecularmodification, possible recyclability, and reduced or zero toxicity.Importantly, these molecules can be derived as natural products- valuable as scientists move towards "sustainablechemistry", where reagents and catalysts are derived frombiomaterial sources.
Superbases for Organic Synthesis is an essential guide tothese important molecules for preparative organic synthesis. Topicscovered include the following aspects:
* an introduction to organosuperbases
* physicochemical properties of organic superbases
* amidines and guanidines in organic synthesis
* phosphazene: preparation, reaction and catalytic role
* polymer-supported organosuperbases
* application of organosuperbases to total synthesis
* related organocatalysts: proton sponges and ureaderivatives
* amidines and guanidines in natural products and medicines
Superbases for Organic Synthesis is a comprehensive,authoritative and up-to-date guide to these important reagents fororganic chemists, drug discovery researchers and those interestedin the chemistry of natural products.