Dies ist die englischsprachige Ausgabe von "Die Himmelfahrtkirche auf dem Ölberg in Jerusalem".
The last German Emperor, Wilhelm II, realized that his perception of religion and church politics could be found in Jerusalem. After his spectacular trip in the fall of 1898, devoted to the inauguration of the Church of the Redeemer, he supported two additional large church constructions: the Catholic Dormition Abbey on the Mount of Zion and the Church of the Ascension in particular.
Since ancient times the ascension of Christ had been localized on the Mount of Olives. During the early Christendom and the Middle Ages corresponding memorial churches were erected there. This tradition was continued in the construction of the new church which was inaugurated in the year of 1910. The imperial dynasty, the order of St John and officials of the Kaiserin-Auguste-Victoria-Foundation found an opportunity of extensive portrayal in “his” Protestant church. This is expressed by the mosaics of the apse, glass-paintings and particularly by the magnificant painted ceiling.